Kauai: October 6

I thought I was well prepared for our big day. My boots were broken in over many miles, I remembered to pack my CamelBak for water, and I even managed to exceed my fundraising goal with $5,054. But the serenity of the island and the inspiring stories of my fellow hikers filled me with awe.

The 10-mile hike began a few miles north of Waimea Canyon. From there the Nualolo Trail extends west through rainforest filled with ginger, passion fruit and guava, and then beyond the tree canopy to more arid land with low brush. After about four miles you reach the breathtaking pali, or cliffs, of the Na Pali Coast. It was here, looking down on the birds and the occasional helicopter flying in and out of the ravines and inlets that we paused to share why each of us had come this far. For one couple it was a sick young daughter, while another woman needed something to cling to following the recent loss of her husband to cancer. If the view wasn’t amazing enough, the stories of strength and compassion certainly were.

Continuing northeast along the coast, the trail becomes a bit more exciting. As you can see from the photo of us crossing a steep hillside, we stayed single file and trusted our guide, a fireman knowledgeable about native plant species, to keep us on the trail, or at least forge a new one. The warm breeze, views of the ocean and floral scent are indescribable.

We completed the horseshoe-like route by turning inland on the Awaawapuhi Trail and beginning our 1,000’ ascent. Rain showers accompanied us off and on as we stepped over roots and rocks, and ducked low branches until we reached the end. Like they say, it was just another day in paradise. Aloha and mahalo to all my friends and supporters.

No comments: